By now you may have seen that there was a slight lull in writing on the blog that began around January of this year (2014). You can read all about the reasons for that here. Any who, there were tons and tons of projects that I finished, but never posted about. I’m making up for lost time and gettin’ it done! So without further ado, I’d like to introduce you to this beauty. Well, she wasn’t so beautiful at the time, but rest assured we’ll get to that part. When I picked up this waterfall vanity, (actually I think it’s a dressing table, but it’s a vanity in my head so we’re goin’ with that) I had absolutely no plan for it at all. It was a piece that it’s owner had wanted to pass down to her daughters and lucky for me, they didn’t want it. I was stoked to work on this style because it was so different than my usual pieces. I let it sit for months and months and then one day, the mood struck and I decided to jump in.
Dear Laaaawd, this piece was so much more work than I’d anticipated. I had some bleed through on one of the drawers that I’d tested, so I started to do a light sanding before sealing. I usually sand anyway just to give the paint a little something to grab hold of. A quick scuff for a piece this size is usually a 10-15 minute job. This time however, it took so much longer. I really wanted it baby’s bottom smooth. You’ll see why in a sec.
I discovered that a small piece was missing from the frame above one of the drawers. Let me just advise now, not to shy away from fixing small issues like this. Repair them as best as you can so your potential buyer isn’t left with the impression that you didn’t care enough to put the proper time and attention into fixing it or worse, that they’re left wondering what else is wrong with it. I had to fashion a fix out of a piece of scrap wood which was a bit of an annoyance and some added work, but you can’t even tell the difference from the original side to my repair. It totally makes this vintage beauty look like a top quality piece. Once I was sure the new trim was a perfect fit, I secured it with my favorite adhesive, Locktite epoxy and used a few small nails for good measure.
This my friends is the Gold Goddess in all her new found glory! Ok, so it’s not technically gold, but rather Modern Masters Nickel. It’s definitely not a silverly nickel though. It’s very warm and has a soft gold undertone. It’s truly such a versatile color to work with and is without a doubt, part of my Modern Masters Top 10 list. I’ve been asked about my MOA and am quite proud to say yes, this was hand painted, not sprayed. The only furniture I spray is chairs. With metallics in particular, it’s all about the prep work. The paint will only look as good as the surface it’s being used on.
I’d venture to say if the girls saw her now, they’d been begging to have her back! I’d love to hear your feedback so feel free to leave a comment below and of course, ask away if you have any questions. Please also feel free to Pin and share.