- Tidy Up the Lawn: Keep up with mowing and weeding. It can drastically transform the look of your home… and you get your exercise in for the day!
- Glam Up Your Front Door: Freshen up the existing color or change the the color entirely. Instead of painting just the front door, add some extra umph by painting the sidelights too. Doing this will give the door more pressence and make it look more grand. If you don’t have sidelights, no worries! You can get shudders that are the same height as your door. The best part is you can purchase them in stock colors or buy them and paint them in a custom color!
- Spruce up exterior light Fixtures: This is a super easy and cost effective way to change the feel of your home! Modern Masters carries awesome metallic paint that makes it even easier (and more cost effective) to give old fixtures a brand new look!
- Mailbox Makeover: Mailboxes seem to get the short end of the stick much of the time. If your creative juices are flowing, get yourself a wreath form and get busy with some Deco Mesh! It’s super easy to use and you can find some great tutorials online (we haven’t experienced any fading with it when used outside, so this is a perfect, inexpensive way to give a piece some personality)
- Create Window Boxes: Gorgeous flowers in window boxes are an instant eye grabber. Make it a weekend project and create your own!
- Add a Water Feature: Who doesn’t need to decompress after a long day of running around? A water feature (fountain, DIY pond, etc.) is the perfect way to get some Zen in your life. We got our last fountain at Home Depot- they have an awesome selection. http://thd.co/GzRu58
- Get Out the Power Washer: aka “the Magic Wand”. This wonderful tool has gotten rid of moss, leaking oil on our driveway, sidewalk chalk, and dirt in no time. Definitely a must have item.
- Add A Pop of Color: A quick paint job on railings, trim, or shutters can turn your house from drab to fab.
- Plant Seasonal Flowers: Add pops of color to your landscape using bright, low maintenance flowers. HGTV put up a nice slideshow of perennials that bloom in the fall.
- Trim Low Hanging Branches: Allow your neighbors to get a clear look of your gorgeous home
With these helpful tricks, your house will surely be the talk of the neighborhood! I’m sure we’ve all been guilty of some outdoor decor choices… see if you’ve made any on this list! Curb Appeal Mistakes
Photo Sources: (1) http://home.howstuffworks.com (2) http://www.cre8tivecompass.com/mag/2011/10/03/diy-fall-spruce-up-of-your-front-door-with-color-diy/ (3) http://handyhomeownergirl.com/2011/08/12/replacing-an-outdoor-light-fixture/ (4) http://uniquehomesolutions.org/seasonal/summer/project-ideas-to-add-curb-appeal-to-your-home (5) http://www.bobvila.com/articles/2437-how-to-make-a-window-box/ (6) http://www.roomzaar.com/rate-my-space/Yards/A-Front-Yard-Makeover/detail.esi?oid=16585356 (7) http://www.lukespressurewash.com/Pressure-Washing-Residential-Berks-County-PA.html (8) http://www.askthebuilder.com/painting-vinyl-shutters/ (9) http://www.hgtv.com/gardening/perennials-that-bloom-in-fall/pictures/index.html (10) http://realestate.msn.com/7-ways-to-increase-your-homes-curb-appeal